Saturday, April 24, 2010

Gila Valley Temple Trip

YEAH! Arizona got a new temple- The Gila Valley Temple
dedicated May 23, 2010

In Young Women's, I challenged the girls to take the Gen. YW's Pres. Challenge of being 100% in three things. Reading from the Book of Mormon for at least 5 minutes, praying and smiling EVERYDAY!! I gave them this challenge the day after they broke ground for the Gila Valley Temple and I challenged them to try and be 100% for the entire year until the temple was finished. Then we would visit the temple together. I'm good friends with the Stake YW's President and they decided to make the temple trip a Stake Youth Conf.
I gave the girls that were 100% for at least the last month, a special necklace at the temple. Those that didn't quite make it could still earn one as well by being 100% for one month straight. This challenge helped me to recommit to reading the Book of Mormon... everyday. Because who doesn't have 5 minutes for the Lord? After the temple trip was over I decided to continue to try and be 100%.
Of course we wanted our children to see the House of the Lord as well so the next weekend, I made the trip again. I gave my kids a white handkerchief to take with them so they could have it as a reminder of the cleanliness and peace you feel inside the temple.
They were able to use the same handkerchief the following sunday for the temple dedication by Pres. Monson.
Audrey loved the Bride's room, Blake liked the ox in the baptismal font. Jackson (and everyone) loved the huge chandelier in the Celestial Room and Chase loved the cookies afterward:) I loved being in the Celestial Room with my entire family- a first. There was definitely a special spirit and I got a small glimpse of heaven.

No comments: