Sunday, October 5, 2008

Finding Joy in the Journey!

Blake was reading the Oct. Friend (like always) and came across a story that inspired an idea.  Just like in the days of  King Benjamin when the families all gathered. They set up their "tents" to hear the Prophet speak.
Blake asked if we too could set up a tent to hear our prophet speak during conference.
The kids got their blankets, paper and pencils and set up camp in the family room.
When Pres. Monson gave his talk on "FINDING JOY IN THE JOURNEY", I had to smile as I watched my children's little feet hanging out of the back of their homemade tent...one of the many, many joys in my journey.
How blessed I feel to have the love and guidance from such an amazing man.  Pres. Monson's words are truly a blessing to me and I will reflect on them often, now and for many years to come.  

"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled (and may I add; the messy forts in the family room-chairs, books, sheets, blankets, and pillows strewn about everywhere), will disappear all too soon and that you will- to your surprise- miss them profoundly."

"This is our one and only chance at mortal life- here and now.  The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief.  Opportunities come, and then they are gone.  I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not.  I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do.  Instead, find joy in the journey- now."
Pres. Thomas S . Monson Oct. 2008 Conf.

9 comments:

Gina said...

What a wonderful post! You are such an amazing mom Steph, your kids are so blessed! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the journey. I need to remember that more often.

Elise said...

You all are so wonderful!!! I loved that talk!! And your kids are just as cute as ever...I loved making tents in my living room as a little girl...heck who doesn't love doing that...even now?! :-)

Trisha said...

That is so cute that they came up with that all by themselves. I love your kids! Also, that quote brought me to tears during conference, it is so true and such a sweet reminder to enjoy each day with our little ones. Thanks for posting that, I will remember it throughout my day.

Angie said...

How cute is that? Blake is such a fun kid. It always makes me sad to think that him and Tyler couldn't be closer while they are growing up. We can't wait to see you guys for Thanksgiving, too!

Stacie said...

I love that talk! It gave me chills just reading it again! I am impressed with how you guys raise your kids--so much fun and love!! :)

We loved seeing you guys over conference weekend! Come visit any time!! (Especially when you want to get away from the heat! We don't have that here!) ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Stephanie,
I clicked on your blog when you commented on mine (thanks by the way). Very cute blog! You main picture of your kids is ADORABLE!
Lori and I miss visiting you. Hope all is well. -Michelle Hinckley

Unknown said...

P.S. My wall was a disaster! Good news...the builder came and inspected it and discovered that the painting company never did prime the wall. They will be coming to re-mud, prime and paint the wall. Stay tuned for my next zany idea.

Laurel said...

you have an amazing family. i wish i could be like you so i am going to try. it is so true that we need to enjoy this journey. thanks for the reminder:)...... I just got home from arizona with the kids and that 6hr drive was not fun!!!!! however we did enjoy ourselves.

a wynn wynn situation said...

Thank you! I printed your text up and put it on my fridge to remember. You are a GREAT mom!